Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Vacation Prep- Week 3

Here it is, week 3. I have somewhat changed my eating habits, but I have completely changed my exercise habits. I attend the gym twice a week- and I am also active on the weekends. The first two weeks I focused on my Cross Fit Core class I decided to join. If you haven't done Cross Fit before, and are looking to ease into the transition, I highly suggest Cross Fit Core. It is a 30 minute class that focuses on your core and building your endurance. I've loved it so far.

This week, my sister and I decided to do body pump before Cross Fit. Wow. Talk about a workout. My friend Jodi Stonehocker teaches the class and literally kicked my bum. It was such a great workout! After, we went to Cross Fit which resulted in us being completely exhausted by the end of the night. I have started to see results in my arms, and in my abs. My pants fit a lot better, and my legs don't look as bulky. If you are interested in trying out the OAC, feel free to check out the schedule here. Below, I have listed a few workouts I have done in the past few weeks that I found to be beneficial.

The KettleBell swing-

I love this exercise! It strengthens your core, along with the fronts of your legs, and abs.

Begin with the KettleBell between legs. Legs should be a little wider than shoulder-width apart. Using your abs and hip flexors, swing KettleBell up to eye level and force back down. A lot of people don't force the KettleBell back down, but you will realize it adds an extra exercise. As the KettleBell comes down, it should go between your legs. I do as many as I can in 30 seconds, with a 10 second rest- for 4 minutes.


The Jackknife-

This is another challenging exercise that is great to do after running a lap around the track. 


As you approach your lap, immediately get on the floor and lay flat on your back. Bring your entire body up into a V shape, and back to starting position. Do as many as you can in a one minute time frame. This is great to increase your cardio and endurance. 


One last exercise I love- 

SlamBall- 

I have a love-hate relationship with this exercise. Start with a SlamBall around 20 pounds. This way you can work up to it. A SlamBall is similar to a medicine ball, but does not bounce, and is full of something similar to sand. 

Start in a deep squatting position- bring SlamBall up towards the ceiling, while allowing yourself to stand completely. Throw SlamBall down to floor, quickly going into a squatting position in order to catch it after it slightly bounces. Continue for 30 seconds with 10 second rest. This exercise is perfect for endurance, building your glutes, legs, and abs. 


Overall, this is a great workout in and of itself. I've enjoyed my routine thus far, and look forward to adding in some cardio and more classes soon! 

No comments:

Post a Comment